Step 1: Install Activate Ad Blocking Detector
- Open your WordPress website.
- Login to your admin dashboard.
- Go to the Plugins section of the menu, and click “Add New.”
- In the search box at the top right, type “ad blocking detector,” then hit your Enter key.
- Ad Blocking Detector should be the top result. Install Ad Blocking Detector by John Morris.
- Click the “Activate Plugin” link once installation is complete.
Step 2: Visit the Ad Blocking Detector Dashboard
- Click the new “Ad Blocking Detector” entry of your WordPress admin dashboard.
Step 3: Follow the Instructions to Activate the Block List Countermeasure Plugin
Note: If your server and WordPress installation do not allow file and directory manipulation in your site’s “wp-content/wp-plugins” directory, the process below is much more involved. For the majority of users, this step should work without issue as described below. A small subset of users may need to tweak server settings, or do the manual alternative of this step. If this step fails or doesn’t resemble the below description, you can skip it for now; however, some ad blockers will break this plugin until it is completed.
- Go to the “Advanced Settings” tab.
- The Block List Countermeasure Plugin should have been created automatically when you activated Ad Blocking Detector.
- This section will verify this countermeasure plugin’s existence. If it does not already exist, click the “Automatically Install Plugin” button.
- Once the Block List Countermeasure Plugin is created, go to your Installed Plugins listing in the WordPress admin dashboard menu.
- Underneath the activated Ad Blocking Detector plugin, should be another list entry entitled “Ad Blocking Detector – Block List Countermeasure.” Activate this additional plugin.
- Once activation is complete, return to the Advanced Settings tab of the Ad Blocking Detector dashboard and verify this countermeasure plugin is active and functioning using the checklist.
Step 4: Create Your First Alternative Content Shortcode
- Go to the “Add New Shortcode” tab.
- Fill out the fields with the following data: